"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Saturday 15 June 2013

On the trails!

Blogathon post 15/30

This morning I was out training on the trails and I was reminded again why I love the trails so much. I've said it before, but I got that feeling again...this is where I belong! With all the challenges I have lined up and the Rhodes Ultra that was thrown into the mix yesterday, I have to get my trail feet in gear very quickly.


I ran on my favorite trails in the Klipriviersberg Nature Reserve, 11km south of Johannesburg. It was a perfect winter morning with bright sunlight and blue skies.


This is a great place to get some technical runs in. There are trails with all kinds of terrain here. Some easier and very runable, some very technical with great rock hopping sections. There are also quite a few steep climbs and descents. Training here prepares me very well for the trail races I do.


There is also good game spotting on offer and this morning I had a Black Wildebeest snorting at me, scratching and stomping the ground. He was really grumpy!

This fellow was very grumpy today!

All in all a great run and I'm already looking forward to my next run there. Nothing beats running on the trails!

I want to share this quote that my brother left in a comment on yesterday's post: "Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second!"

Have a super weekend everyone!

8 comments:

Giorgio said...

That is a versatile running path and the scenery is really beautiful there.
The first half of your blogathon is over. Have a nice weekend!

Char said...

It still blows my mind that when you run you can see a wildebeest. The most exciting it gets here is getting laughed at by a kookaburra.

ajh said...

Can wildebeast be scary, do you need to be wary?

Lauren said...

Love your brother's quote. It's so late, I hope to quote it on my facebook or blog tomorrow. So happy to see that you're having fun on the trails. I'm still so amazed to see the terrain looking very similar to So. California. I still haven't taken out a map yet to see how far we both are from the equator. But with so much similarities, I'm guessing our countries are the same in some way (just the opposite -- I find that fascinating!) Happy trails. ps. though similar, I have never seen a wildebeest, or much or the wildlife of S. Africa.

Jim ... 50after40 said...

It's always so interesting to read about wildlife that are indigenous to your particular area. If I saw a wildebeest here I'm pretty sure I'd be headed in the opposite direction.

Kate Geisen said...

What a great place to run!! I bet it's nice and cool there...or at least cooling off. Here it's getting hit and I'm remembering how much better cold weather running is!

Your brothers quote is soooo true. I have friends who tell me they can only make it through a mile, and I tell them they quit right before it gets better!

Anne said...

What amazing places you train in Johann! Wow! I ran my first trail race yesterday and I really loved it! :)

Unknown said...

I highly enjoy outdoor sports. Such activities require a lot of energy. I am taking dietary supplements which were developed to enhance physical capacities of the soldiers under extreme conditions. These are special pre-workout supplements, manufactured by MGNutritionals. They work perfect - just pure energy, right when I need it most.