"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Friday 25 April 2014

Goals, Speed Work and Streaking

I haven't really talked about my goals for 2014 and we are already nearing the end of April. The main reason for this is that I missed my main goals for the 1st half of 2014 but I am busy building up form and fitness to reach my goals for the 2nd half of the year.

I have two main goals for the 2nd half of 2014 and they are both circuit races:

1. Jannas 18 Hour Circuit Race - 24 October 2014 (1km lap)
2. Johannesburg Festival of Running 48 Hour Circuit Race - 19 December (500m lap)

Both these goals include some hard ultra slogging so my focus at the moment is distance and more distance. For this my current running streak is working well.

Almost done with part 1 of my streak!

But there is another twist to this story...

Speed and pace! Not something I am known for at all. I don't do any speed work ever. But... this streak thing is forcing me to do some shorter than normal runs from time to time and I am starting to push them a bit more as I feel my fitness returning. My pace is improving all the time.

Streaking is certainly working wonders for me. My endurance is getting better and I need that for my two main goals of the year. At the same time I am actually getting my pace up and this is just an added bonus. I'm loving every run, long and short.

Happy training everyone! I hope you are also loving every workout.

11 comments:

misszippy said...

It's fun to get out of your comfort zone sometimes. And with big goals like that it's probably great for you!

One Crazy Penguin said...

You're doing great on your streak! Very inspirational :)

Kate Geisen said...

I'm so impressed with your streak! I can never muster that kind of consistency. Very cool to see the speed/pace benefits you weren't expecting kick in, too!

Those races sound really cool! I'd have a really tough time being on my feet that long...even the 10 hour orienteering meet left them pretty sore...but I guess that's why you're working up to it! :)

Giorgio said...

It's great to hear about your motivation, considering your two important goals of the year.

Have a nice weekend!

Jerry Smallwood said...

Great streak, I just don't have the motivation to do what you have done so far....respect.

Amy said...

Wow! I'm impressed - not only have you really stuck to your streak but it is having really positive benefits to your running! That's great!

Char said...

A 48 hr race is a huge goal. Your streaking will go a long way to get you there. And even just reading about it has made me a little bit more inspired to get this morning's run done.

ajh said...

It sounds like things are going well. I am loving following your streak.

Robin said...

Wow those goals...amazing. The streaking is having unknown benefits that's great. 48 hours...wow!

Michael said...

Hey you can't become a speedster on me now :) LOL.

I love how much you just love running. Whether it's a long or short run, fast or slow, you truly have a joy for running!

Cayden Mcneil said...

Hi thhanks for sharing this