"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Monday 1 December 2014

Alberton 10km Race Report


I don't run 10km races very often but when I get the chance I really enjoy them. It was the same yesterday at the Alberton 10km road race.


Waiting for the start.

My initial plan was to run 20km at home on Saturday and then the 21.1km half marathon on Sunday for a 41km weekend. Some commitments changed my plans for me so I ran 30km at home on Saturday and the 10km race on Sunday to give me the 40km I needed for the weekend.

On our way!

It was a lovely morning and everyone was happy that the race started nice and early at 6AM. The temperature was perfect and some clouds kept it just right for both races. Alberton Athletic Club always puts on a very well organised race and this year was really good yet again.


Great to be running a road race again.

There was a descent turnout and I enjoyed seeing many friends at the start and along the way. I haven't run a road race for a very long time now and I enjoyed being back.


I was told more than once me running a road race was the reason for the clouds rolling in.

My plan was a slow run on tired legs in preparation for the 48 hour race I'm running from 19 - 21 December. I did exactly that although my legs were not tired after Saturdays 30km. This is great news! There is hope for the 48 hour!

Running past a local church.

A typical neighborhood run.

I felt stronger and stronger as the run went on. Between 4 and 5km I started feeling very good and at 7km I was feeling great! Between 8 and 9km I was feeling super and I finished feeling very strong and not tired at all.

Winner of the double lap half marathon lapping me :)

Onto the fields of the rugby club.

And to the finish!

I am extremely happy with my weekend's 40km and even happier with how I'm feeling today...ready for more running!

Happy!

Another race and medal in the bag.

My final prep for the circuit race is now here and my excitement is really building. I will keep you up to date.

Happy training everyone!

11 comments:

Karien P. said...

Sounds like a great run, Johann - well done!

Robin said...

Nice work at the race and on the heavy mileage weekend!! Good stuff.

misszippy said...

Congrats! I like 10ks, too, but they seem to be a dying distance over here.

Jill said...

Hooray!!! Loving that big smile at the bottom picture - it sure paints a big story! Very happy for you, Johann.

I didn't know you were doing a 48 hour race in two weeks, that is craziness at its finest :). Excited for your adventure....no doubt you will nail it!

Have a great week, my friend!

Kate Geisen said...

Oh, I love those races where I feel stronger as the race goes on. That's a rare, rare thing in a running race, but it's pretty typical for an adventure race.

Sounds like a great weekend of running!

coach dion said...

The 30km plus a 10km race is no problem, it's the 48hour race I can't get my head around...

Char said...

I can't believe that I just read about you running a 10k. On the road. It's messing with my head!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Sounds like a fun way to prepare for your next race!

Michael said...

Nice job! Looks like fun and a great way to prepare!

ajh said...

Thanks for the kind words about my brother.

ajh said...

Thanks for the kind words about my brother.