"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Tuesday 9 December 2014

Psyching up for the 48 hour race


Ten days to go to the 48 hour circuit race and I am getting really excited! It is a mental game and that is exactly what draws me to these type of events. The mental battle a circuit (or lap) race throws at you.


I am preparing my mind more than my body for this. I've been asked a lot of times how do you train for a race like this? How do you train for a multi-day event?

My short answer is you don't. You just do your normal long runs as normal ultra training. I like to do some really slow runs with lots of walking between the running, There will be lots of walking so I like to train for that as well.

Physically I don't think you can do much more. I will certainly add more back to back long runs and more runs on tired legs to the mix. Other than that I think the battle is all in the head.

I like to do more loop type runs than normal. 10 x 1km instead of 1 x 10km for instance. I've been doing most of my runs as loops the last two months. I don't know if it really makes a difference, but if my head tells me it does that is all I want.

Thinking or feeling I am mentally prepared is a win. I am feeling like that currently and that is good. I am feeling ready to go and run round and round and round for two days.

The 471m track.

I am not in the best of shape but I am not in bad shape either. The broken toe is healing well and I am almost pain free. It is uncomfortable but that is something I can live and run with. By next week it should be almost back to normal.

I will go and give my support at the start of the 10 day race this Saturday and the same for the start of the 6 day race next week. That is the final part of my mental preparation. Being at the track and watching the runners in the long races doing their thing. That will get me to the start of the 48 hour race on the 19th with my head exactly where and how I want it.

I will post details of my planning and prep for the run over the next few days. This is circuit running and I love it!

Happy training everyone!


11 comments:

Robin said...

So looking forward to hearing about this! Thanks for commenting on the training/mental aspect. I think about that all the time as I head towards the spring. I hope your toe is ok and you have a great 48 hours! Do you plan on taking sleep or rest breaks during that time?

KovasP said...

I definitely prefer large loops over smaller, multiple loops - kudos to you for the mental strength!

One Crazy Penguin said...

Intense! I've thought about loop races in the past, but I've never been mentally strong enough to take the plunge. It would be way too easy to drop out when it gets hard! You've got this though :)

Char said...

It's good to hear that your broken toe is healing so well. It sounds like you've done all you can to prepare now so whatever will be will be.

coach dion said...

WHY WHY WHY... Maybe I should do something stupid like that...

NO I don't even like the thought of a 100 miler (or km) race!

Good luck

Amy said...

Glad to hear your toe is doing better - it sounds like you are ready for this unique race - I hope it goes well!

Karien P. said...

Wow... Good luck!

ajh said...

It is fun to follow you for this because I would never do it. Good luck. You sound ready to me.

Giorgio said...

It's great to hear that your toe is healing well :) I look forward to reading about your 48 hours!

Jill said...

I can't even imagine running a 48 hour race...that just isn't humane. I wish you all the very, very best. I know you're going to do great, because that's what you do best - be great :).

Good luck, Johann!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

What a challenge! Thought you'd like to know that your post is listed on the daily news of the ultrarunner podcast! http://ultrarunnerpodcast.com/daily-news-thurs-dec-11/