"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Monday 4 July 2011

Northgate 10km Race Report

Yesterday I ran the Northgate 10km race that was held by Roodepoort Athletic Club at the Northgate shopping centre in Johannesburg. I haven’t done a 10km race in two years now so it was nice to get one done for a change.


Runners on their way to the start.

I have a goal to run 2000 races before I retire from running and after Sunday my total sits on 1253 races. I keep count of the number of races I run for all the distances from 10km, 15km, 21.1km (half marathon), 32km (20 miles), 42.2km (marathon), ultras, and non-standard (any other distance).


The 10km race counter was at 135 for two years so the main goal of yesterday’s race was to add another one to get it to 136.


Finish area at Northgate.

The morning started cold but in the end the weather was perfect for running. I estimate about 600 to 700 runners started the race.


Waiting for the start.

Looking back.

We started on time at 7:30 and I made my way around the normal front of the pack walkers…this never ends does it?


On our way!

I decided to run the first half comfortably to see what my legs felt like after the trail training of the previous day. I felt good despite my normal sluggish feeling I usually have the first 7 to 8km of any run.


About 2km into the race, all good.

There were a few hills in the first 6km but I could run them easily, never pushing too hard. My legs felt the week’s training a bit, but I felt strong at the same time.


Last real hill between 6 and 7km.

The last 3km were more or less flat and I started feeling better and better towards the end. It was great to feel some fitness over the shorter distance and I could feel the tough hills I’ve been running on the trails at altitude (Johannesburg is at about 6000ft) is helping the lungs a lot.


In the end I cruised home and was happy to dip under an hour for the 10km. My time was 58:59 and for me that is just right.


Happy with my time!

The moment I stopped I felt rested. I was not tired in any way and I feel I have a good base to start my serious training for July and August, my two most important training months of the year.


Medal for the 10km.

I'm not sure when I'll be doing a 10km race again. There may be one in December that I will do.


Next up is the 20km Vaal River Trail Race this Sunday at 08:00. Have a great week everyone!

28 comments:

Brett Martin said...

Great job at the race! That last hill looked pretty steep. And great time for it as well! Good luck in the 20k
- Brett

Liz said...

It's great to read so many race reports - you are always racing! Good running!

Mark said...

That is an amazing number of races, Johann!! Good job!!

Robin said...

Congrats, great result! Wow that's a lot of races you have run! Well on your way to 2,000!

Richelle said...

Nice work at the 10K. I can't believe you've done so many races. That's fantastic!

Ewa said...

It does not mean that after 2000 races you will retire, does it? I hope not.
Congrats on a good race.

Jill said...

10ks are just a fraction better than 5Ks, but still toug - congrats on another race to your 2000 goal!! I'm very impressed with that (I have no idea how many I've run, but it has to be close to 1000).

Char said...

Well done Johann. I don't understand why walkers insist on putting themselves up the front either - makes no sense at all.

A-Pi (Peter) said...

I've only done 15 races, hope to make it to 100 at some point!

Cheers,
Peter

ajh said...

I love the looks of your blog! Nice job on the race. Isn't it great to be happy with your time. I am feeling the same way about my race today.

Patrick Mahoney said...

Great race, love the 2000 race goal...

Anne said...

Congrats! You did great! Love the medal :)

Anonymous said...

Looks like a pretty good turnout! Congratulations!

Laurie said...

2000 races? That's a great goal! I now wish I had been counting my races all along -- I have no idea how many I've done at any distance aside from marathons and 50ks. That's because I can count to five and to one pretty easily :)

Amy said...

Wow, what a goal!
Nice job on the 10K - that is my favorite distance.

Staci said...

Great run Johann.
2000 races is a fantastic goal and you are well on your way.
Lovely race report too.

Jennifer said...

Excellent job Johann! 2000?! Ha, you can do it, I know it!

Giorgio said...

It's the first time that I see you running a 10 km race! Good race, Johann, under an hour for the 10km is really a good time considering that you're a long distance runner.
Moreover the photos shows strong up hills.
Good luck on you next 20km race!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Congrats on the race

Marlene said...

That is an unbelievable number of races! Congrats on the 10K!

Chris K said...

Great attitude and approach to racing. You always have so much fun and never whine or complain. You are grateful and always look for the good in your races. Good job on accomplishing your time goal.

Christina said...

136 wow. The goal of 2000 races is amazing. I only have 50 some under my belt and wouldn't think 1000 is even in my horizon.

We get dust storms every year but NOTHING to that magnitude. It stretched for miles. My car looks like I drove through sand dunes and the pool is a mess.

Molly said...

yay! Happy to hear you feel ready to take on the higher mileage.

Do you really think you'll stop at 2000???

wendy said...

What a nice race report, Johann! You did really well. Here comes the big training : )

HappyTrails said...

Nice "sprint" race for you, right? We thought you utilized 10k's for warm up time :) It appears you suffered no ill effects from the broken toe, which is great. I might need to pick your brain a minute about shoe modification techniques...

Lauren said...

Wow, 2000 races! What a tremendous goal. Great time on the 10k, I don't think i've ever broken 1 hr for a 10k. Those short races are really tough for me since it takes me so long to get going : ) Congrats. You are doing an awesome job. You should check into the Guiness Book of World Records to see if that would be anywhere near a record.

Anonymous said...

Great race! Sounds like racing is a full time job. I can't believe how many you have done.

Anonymous said...

you're really a just right webmaster. The website loading velocity is amazing. It seems that you're doing any unique trick.
Also, The contents are masterpiece. you've done a excellent process on this subject!
My webpage :: healthy diet plans