"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Monday 18 November 2013

Life is life...


I always accept life for what it is and make the best of every situation while staying positive. But even my patience can get a bit thin at times. The first thing that causes this to happen is life interfering with my running.

I'm going through a stage like that at the moment and it is not good at all.

My foot is recovering well from the cut it received when I dropped some broken glass on it. Good enough to start running again, but I did miss more than a week because of this.


Then work happened... I spent the whole weekend, and still doing the same right now, analyzing stats from graphs like the one below. Long hours for tonight as well means probably no running tomorrow morning. I hate it when work interferes with my running!


On top of that we've been having some mean storms here in Johannesburg. So bad that our thatch lapa was blown down on Saturday morning.

From Wikipedia for my overseas friends:
(A lapa is a structure that is popular in South Africa. It usually consists of a thatched roof supported by wooden poles. Lapas are commonly used as semi-open entertainment areas. It is sometimes misspelled as lapha. Lapa can suitably be accepted as a variant of the widely known gazebo. 



Yep... life is life!


13 comments:

Mark said...

Hang in there friend....I understand the frustration.

Unknown said...

Drat! And usually when life gets in the way of running is when you need running in your life the most!

Anonymous said...

As Lisa said... And thanks for the Wikipedia explanation on thatch lapa, I've never heard that word till now:)

One Crazy Penguin said...

Oh no! I know the feeling of life getting in the way of running. Things always calm down eventually though.

Robin said...

yes can totally relate to this post! Hang in there.

Char said...

I don't get how all the bad stuff seems to happen at once. Sounds like you've had your share now, though.

Lauren said...

I get so frustrated when I can't run. I feel your pain (at least the not running part, not that terrible glass pain -- ouch!!).

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Ha, I literally said to myself "What the heck is a lapa", and then you explained it. I don't comment and tell you this enough, but you are ALWAYS an encouragement and positive influence to me. That's why I always read your blog. Even though we've never met "in real life", I always appreciate your kind and uplifting words and spirit. Keep your head up. Great runners like you influence a lot of guys like me out here!

ajh said...

Oh man. Sorry but I hear you. When I don't like a run or complain I try to remind myself how much I don't like it when I can't run. Things will turn around.

Jill said...

Um...did you write this post for me? I can absolutely relate. Hope things calm down soon and you're back on those trails training well.

I was just going to write that a lapa sounded like a gazebo when your definition summed it up as so. You should just call it a gazebo then! :)

Hang in there, my friend!

Kate Geisen said...

Sorry life is being so obnoxious. All these things piled onto each other have to be so frustrating. But I totally agree with what Jim said. We're lucky to have you in our little corner of the blog world, if not of our actual world. Best wishes to you that your luck is all GOOD from here on out!

coach dion said...

It's a good thing you weren't braaiing at the time... Those chairs look, not very happy!!!

KovasP said...

The best thing about the down times are knowing good times are on the way!