"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Thursday 4 March 2010

When I’m Not Running

I’m sure all runners at some point have this remark made to them by some non-running person: “You need to get a life…”, when the person learns about some run or race you’ve done or are planning to do. I get this quite often and my first thought is always that it’s actually the other way round. This person needs a life!

My life is full, with or without running, but running and being in shape makes me cope so much better with my full life. Someone at work made this comment yesterday when he heard that I was up at 3:30 on Sunday morning because I wanted to do a long training run. I don’t respond to this anymore, but thought it might be a good idea to post about some of the things I do when I’m not running.

So here it is! Some non-running stuff I do…

I’m a software engineer and work full time as a software performance tester. In short this means I test software for performance and mainly performance under load. For example I test Internet Banking for banks and see if 1.5 mil people can use the software at the same time at the end of the month. I spend a lot of my time working through graphs like this. This is great as I’m a stats fanatic!


I’m passionate about software and software testing and I write and publish articles and papers on a regular basis and give presentations and talks at seminars, user groups and workshops often.

I enjoy a lot of good times with my son. He will be 9 on 12 March. We like to watch DVD’s and play computer games together when the weather doesn’t allow us to be outside, but if at all possible we’ll be outdoors.



I spend many hours in my garden. I was born with very green fingers. Any plant I touch grows well!



I love taking photos of the flowers in my garden.



I love trains and model trains. I’m building a model train layout and do this often when I want or need to relax.



I keep and breed tropical fish



I have 3 dogs and 3 cats.





We do lots of hiking on trails wherever we are.



I’m an enthusiastic bird watcher.



Between all of this I love to run…a lot.



I’d like to do much more, but I don’t have time as my life is full.

9 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Johann,
I am a better person for running and like what it does for me:) There are so many positives about running!!

Thanks for sharing those wonderful pictures:) I love your pool and your pets are very cute!! Your son looks like he is having a good time:) If we had a tramp I would be on it too!! I wish I had a green thumb. You would think that with growing up on a farm that I could do good with plants. Nope!! They don't die on me but they don't look as good as when I first get them:) Have a great day Johann!!

Jameson said...

You have very syncronized animals! Some beautiful pictures all around.

ajh said...

You are a busy person but I am sure it is the running that keeps you sane. I love the photos you took. Your son is a cutie. Enjoy him while he is at home! They grow way too fast. Loved reading all the stuff about you.

Christina said...

That is a great blog topic. What I find interesting is you still are doing stuff with nature and animals.

Denise said...

love this post!! and the kitties are too cute!! my mom once told me i had to get a life...that's when i knew i was running A LOT!!

misszippy said...

Great post. You have a very full life! Made me feel like I need to find more to do with mine! It's great to have so many passions.

Tricia said...

Great pictures, and its nice to know a little more about you :)

Anne said...

Passionate people are, indeed, passionate and that goes for everything they undertake in life :) ...you are most certainly a passionate person! Great pics and lovely post!

Running Through Life said...

Great pictures and post. We runners do a have a life, a healthy one!