"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Friday 12 March 2010

Gadgets and Goodies

Although I love technology I’m not very big on gadgets. When it comes to running I’m not into gadgets at all. No heart rate monitors or Garmins or fancy watches or iPods for me. I run with my stop watch that has two settings…Start & Stop.

The table below appeared in the January 2010 edition of the South African Runner’s World. According to that I’m close to being an old timer with some of the ultra guy qualities added. I really enjoyed reading this table and can relate well to being an ultra guy old timer. I certainly have a lack of gadgets and run in old shirst!


At least I’ve worked through my 1980’s and early 1990’s t-shirts. I currently run in my 1998 t-shirts, working my way through the piles of t-shirts from races all over.




One area where I’ve upgraded my old timer status is the no gadgets area. I’ve replaced my water bottle with a hydration pack for the longer runs.




The most recent upgrade is a running belt to carry my gels and other goodies on long runs. I’ve been using these plastic bags that I pin to my shorts. They work fine, but the newer bags (I use money bags from the banks) are smaller than and not as strong as the older ones. So I decided to finally get myself a proper runner’s belt.




So am I moving into the age of gadgets and goodies? Maybe a little, but I’m very far from any electronic gadget. For now I’m still happy being an old timer.

6 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Johann,
Oh great, now I am wanting to go shopping for a few things!! I really could use a belt and I would love one of those hydration backpacks:) I hope that you have an excellent weekend!!

Cindy said...

I love the chart...that's great!

ajh said...

I do love my Garmin mostly because I am so anal about wanting to know how far I have gone and this makes me go new places I haven't been which I love.

Running Through Life said...

You are proof that you don't need anything but the basics to run. I think we get caught up with a lot of gadgets and forget to realize we just need to put some shoes on and run.

misszippy said...

I'm with you...an old gal! I use a simple Timex IM watch and nothing else. I am even spoiled with not having to carry hydration on long runs b/c my club puts water out at three places. So my whole repertoire is pretty simple and straightforward.

Giorgio said...

I've known your running blog via Julie and Anne's blog. I've read the table of types of runners which you posted and although I don't wear cotton T-shirt I think I'm an old timer too.
Regards