"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Wednesday 17 April 2013

A Sad Week Indeed


My week didn’t start too great as I had a DNF for my marathon on Sunday. My knee that I fell on last week became so sore I had to call it a day after 37km…5km from the finish. It started getting sore at about 28km and a while later I could not run downhill. I decided to rather be safe than sorry. I can’t afford a knee injury with all the great trail races I have lined up for the second half of the year.

Then Monday was Boston…

What can I say? I just don’t have the right words for this. So tragic, sad and unnecessary. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone.

I have taken three rest days and will test my knee tomorrow on an easy 5km. I will keep you up to date. I am willing to skip Comrades to make sure I’m ready for the trails later in the year. Hopefully it won’t come to that.

Peace and love to you all. Run strong my friends.

9 comments:

KovasP said...

It has definitely been a strange week. Way to keep your big goals in mind and staying healthy.

Kate Geisen said...

Hope your knee behaves and finishes healing up. Taking a DNF, especially so close to the finish, stinks, but you're smart to keep focused on your big goals. And Boston...so terrible. It makes my heart hurt every time I think about it.

Karien P. said...

A sad week indeed.

Hope your knee feels better soon!

Robin said...

Sorry about the DNF and the sore knee Johann...hope it's nothing serious and that you don't have to skip Comrades. It's been a sad week for running for sure. All the best.

Char said...

I hope your knee heals quickly. You've been running so well, it'd be a pity to miss Comrades.

Giorgio said...

Sorry about your knee. I hope it will improve soon: Take care!

Those children, near the finish line of the 117th Boston marathon, were waiting for their parents. What a tragic thing!

Cindy said...

There are hundreds of races. You only have two knees...take care!

ajh said...

As you said recently to me, injuries suck. Heal fast my friend.

Lindsay said...

hope your knee is doing better today!!