"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Wednesday 10 April 2013

A fall, my toes and my shoes

Yesterday morning I had quite a nasty fall while out running. My left knee is bashed up but luckily it seems to be only on the outside. My left elbow and shoulder are both sore on the inside.

Bashed up knee.

Cut on thumb.

It looks worse than it is and I should be 100% ready for Sunday’s marathon. I am actually more worried about my toes than any injuries from this fall.

Remember Comrades 2011…? This is my toe afterwards.


I blamed this on the shoes I wore on the day and I am sure I was right to do so. Many years ago (somewhere in the 1990's) I had some toe problems as well. I switched from Nike Pegasus to Nike Air Max and the problems disappeared. Over time shoes have changed and I ended back in Nike Pegasus a few years ago. I need a shoe with mega toe space and front foot support.

My Nike Pegasus 29.Not enough toe space and front foot support for ultra road running.

I've been running in Pegasus for the last two years again when on the road, but my ultras and ultra training have been on the trails. It is only in the last few months that I've been doing those kind of distances on the road and my old toe nemesis is slowly coming back.

So I went shopping but there are very few shoes on the market that caters for my toe box needs. After the 2011 Comrades I ran in the Nike Citius 4 and they were great. This shoe worked extremely well for me.

My first Nike Citius 4 shoes…great!

That pair is now retired after more than 1000km of great service. Unfortunately I couldn't find another pair anywhere. But my fortunes changed last Friday when I went searching for a large toe box shoe and found two pairs in my number at a local running store. I bought both pairs immediately!

New Nike Citius 4...with a few blood splatters... :)

I am so relieved that I found these now and will certainly wear them for all long runs on the road. I will run Sunday’s marathon in them and have them just right for the Comrades.

I am busy with research as I don’t know if I’ll find another pair of the Citius. With my toe and foot requirements it seems I might join the Hoka team in the future. We will wait and see…

My future shoe…?

Happy running everyone!

22 comments:

gene said...

Good luck on the Marathon! Take care of the body and enjoy those shoes!

The Green Girl said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your fall. :: hugs :: Take care of yourself and good luck!

Jerry Smallwood said...

Awesome cut, I hate cuts to knees they bleed so badly. Have a blast at the marathon...are you going for a particular time or just to enjoy?

Michael said...

Ouch!!! Hope you are feeling better and don't have any nagging left over pains!

I struggle with the toe box and my toes too. Both my second and third toes are actually longer than my big toe...the the second toe is really long. That second toe really takes a beating!

Robin said...

That fall does not look good at all. Glad to hear you're all set for Sunday though. Great luck finding the shoes!

Kate Geisen said...

Glad you found some shoes to fit your needs! I have had a terrible time finding the right shoes. Well, I guess I haven't tried that hard. I have trail shoes I love, still haven't found road shoes to sweep me off my feet.

Glad your knee's ok! Good luck this weekend!

Boston Bound Brunette said...

OUCH OUCH OUCH! Good luck on your marathon is spite of all the beatings you have taken already!

Jim ... 50after40 said...

I don't have any cuts or scrapes right now, but my two middle toes look exactly like that.

Jill said...

Sweet carnage! I fell the other day, too (at probably the exact same time as you :)) and banged up my knee, but your definitely wins the worst looking. No finger banged, but I did get a shoulder wound.

Every ultra geek in Colorado wears the Hokas, but I can't seem to like them. At all. Tim told me the other day they act like a sponge in water and retain too much of it in a rainy ultra, so something to keep in mind.

Good luck, Johann. Will be thinking of you! :)

ajh said...

Glad you can run in Sunday's marathon. I think of all my scrapes etc. my knees have fared the worst!

Char said...

That knee wound looks quite spectacular. I'm so glad that it wasn't as bad as it looks and should leave no lasting problems. And I'm so glad you found the shoes you needed. I'm thinking you need a shoe sponsorship with all the shoes you get through in a year.

coach dion said...

Great picture of the knee, but I didn't need to see those toes... Wait I have the shoe for you 5 finger!!!

Karien P. said...

Ouch - that's a really nasty fall! Hope you heal up quickly.

KovasP said...

It'll be interesting to hear what you think of the Hokas, should you make the switch.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Those are some war wounds to be proud of, glad your ok

Liz said...

Yikes, that looks nasty! Hope the marathon goes well.

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

wishing you super speedy healing and a happy marathon day. Good Luck ! Have FUN !

misszippy said...

You are looking pretty beat up there! I know you'll rebound nicely for the marathon, though. Good luck and enjoy it!

Black Knight said...

Sorry for the fall and good luck on the marathon. The pic of the knee is scary.
I have always had problems to find the right running shoes. When I get a shoe that fits I suddendly buy another similar pair.

Lauren said...

Ouch, ouch, ouch!!! Looks like a terrible fall. Salomons have a lot of toe space, in fact too much for me. I hardly wear them because the toe space is way too big. I've also found New Balance to have a bigger than average toe area. Good luck on your marathon!

rustiey martien said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rustiey martien said...

Oh. that's a really bad fall. I hope you are better now. I was searching for Big size shoes for tall man online and got your blog. It was really bad fall you had.