"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Wednesday 10 October 2012

Harrismith 15km Mountain Race Preview

On Saturday I will travel to the Free State town of Harrismith, about 300km South East of Johannesburg. There I will run up this mountain...


I'm really looking forward to the race as I've been very keen to go run it for many years. It just seems that 300km is a long way to travel for a 15km race.

The profile...


This is certainly a toughie and I think it will be perfect training for my 3 day, 3 stage race at the end of the month.

The route...


I will not be resting or tapering before Saturday, in fact, I am pushing a few miles this week still in preparation for Golden Gate.

The race...


I will have slightly tired legs running up that mountain but that is perfect for my buildup...I hope and keep telling myself.

The place...


I can't wait!

Where / what are you running this weekend?

Have fun!


18 comments:

Colin Hayes said...

Wow, that looks like a tough one! That should get your legs ready for just about anything. Beautiful scenery, too. Good luck & enjoy it!

TR said...

Hi! Looking forward to reading more of you! That elevation/climb just looks painful. Wow!

Kate Geisen said...

Wow, that looks beautiful...and sounds HARD! Yeah, that's a long way to go for a shorter race, but I find myself doing that kind of thing all the time. I think it secretly drives my husband crazy. Good luck!!

I'm doing a 10-hour orienteering race this weekend...which is a 3.5 hour drive away. So I'll be doing some serious traveling like you!

Boston Bound Brunette said...

Love the scenery but the elevation looks scary! Enjoy!!

KovasP said...

Love the elevation profile!

Char said...

My coach is travelling over 2000km for a 10km race in a few weeks so 300km for a 15km race seems perfectly reasonable. Good luck this weekend.

Char said...

My coach is travelling over 2000km for a 10km race in a few weeks so 300km for a 15km race seems perfectly reasonable. Good luck this weekend.

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

Looks like another great race. You guys sure have some great ones. No racing for me. Just a measly 8 mile training run but I'll be running marathon #4 next weekend.

ajh said...

Wow! That is one tough looking hill! Funny, my daughter and I were telling the person we stayed with last weekend about some of the long distances we drove for a 5K! Twice! But we laughed and smiled over it, not for the first time, so we made some pretty special memories doing it. (And in both of the races I drove for we won prizes including age group awards.)

Unknown said...

I love the hill in the middle, it will be worth the travel! Enjoy!

Liz said...

That course profile is ridiculous! It looks like a tough race - good luck and enjoy it!

Robin said...

Your elevation profiles always amaze me! GOod luck this weekend. Looks/sounds like another awesome adventure.

Staci said...

When you put it like that, it sounds daft to drive 300km to run 15km. Alan has also been wanting to do this race for years. Finally, it doesn't conflict with the Fish River Canoe marathon this year so we will see you there. (I am not as well trained as you are and I am scared). Travel safe.

Unknown said...

I think that destination races are soooo much fun. It's all about the journey!!!

Looks like a great training race :)

Giorgio said...

I have never heard about such tough 15km race. Anyway I'd drive 300 for that 15km race ... considering the fantastic scenery that I could enjoy.

Molly said...

wow, what a climb! Have fun, I know you will!! :)

Teamarcia said...

Now there's some serious elevation! Good luck and enjoy!

The Green Girl said...

Wow! I'm looking forward to the race report!