"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Monday 22 October 2012

Golden Gate Challenge and Inspiration



On Friday I run the 1st stage of the Golden Gate Challenge, a three stage, 3 day trail & mountain challenge. The distances are 27km, 29km and 17km. However, the organizers make it very clear that no one must be fooled by the distances as this is heavy technical mountain running. “Expect to be on the mountains 6 – 8 hours each day” is what they communicate.

From the race info:

What to bring:
  • Headlight for Day 3 (compulsory)
  • Bright Waterproof light weight jacket (Compulsory in misty conditions)
  • Whistle  (compulsory equipment)
  • Hydration System (Camel Back) (Compulsory equipment for Day 1. No less than 2L)
  • Sunscreen
  • Walking poles – recommended (some steep ascents and descents)
  • Extra socks – might be a good idea to carry a pair of dry socks in your backpack. There are some river crossing on some of the days and it might be wise to change socks after these.
  • Sense of humor :)

Watch out for….
  • Ticks – please search all possible places for these little buggers!
  • Mountain edge: there are some big mountains and sometimes the trail go close to the edge so please be mindful and careful
  • Rocks – enough of these around, lift those feetJ
  • Heat & Dehydration –drink enough and bring some sunscreen. Please note that Day 1 is very remote and you will be without water between the checkpoints for a long time – hence the compulsory equipment rule for a Camelback or water bottles.

I’m going into this race with great inspiration from a friend, Pieter Pretorius, who is paraplegic and in a wheelchair. Pieter wrote this on Facebook yesterday:

“Did my longest ever distance this weekend at Reach for a Dream with 82km. I never thought I could roll this far. It just shows us again how much more we can achieve than we think we can. I wanted the 100km desperately, but my hands were raw and very sore. I will roll that 100km one day. I learnt so much from everyone this weekend. Thank You Lord for my health.”


This gave me goose pimples. How many of us can even walk 82km? To do this in a wheelchair is simply amazing. I take this into my race as inspiration. 


Thank you Pieter!

I will see if I can update FB each day. We are leaving on Thursday and will be back Sunday evening. Race report and feedback next week.

Run safe and strong everyone! 

14 comments:

Robin said...

Sounds like another adventure for you! Yikes about the ticks though. Thanks for sharing Pieter with us, that's awesome.

misszippy said...

Wow, Peter is one inspiring guy! I'll try to think of him next time I start to whine or complain!

Your race sounds amazing, as always. You know how to pick them!

Jill said...

What an awesome adventure you have coming up this weekend. I am not familiar with many multi-day events here in the states, but I think it'd be so much fun. And hard. But you got that covered :).

Your friend is a true inspiration and what a great guy!!

Good luck! Have a blast!

TR said...

That is just beyond amazing about your friend. Wow. :)

Good luck and looking forward to reading about it!

KovasP said...

Have a great weekend - I know you have the training AND sense of humor!

The Green Girl said...

Thanks for posting the lists - you know how much I love lists.

Love the inspiration you'll be carrying with you this weekend.

Safe travels and good luck, my friend!

Char said...

I can see why Pieter inspires you. There are some truly amazing people who we share our earth with.

Good luck with your race. And try not to forget that sense of humour. I find that it's a really easy thing to leave at home. That, and the toothbrush.

ajh said...

Good luck. Stay safe. I will be watching for your updates on FB.

Liz said...

Blimey. Hope you remembered to pack your sense of humour - might be the most important thing! Have a great time!

Karien P. said...

Pieter really touched my heart with his words - he is truly an inspiration. Good luck for this weekend - be safe and enjoy!

Giorgio said...

Good luck on the Golden Gate Challenge. I look forward to reading your report!

Lindsay said...

Pieter is an inspiration! congrats to him on his accomplishment. good luck this weekend!

Hennie said...

You may only be someone in the world, but to someone else, you may be the world.
"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it".
Pieter You will always be my great friend and inspiration, thanks buddy, miss your company.

HappyTrails said...

Hope the Challenge finished up well today - can't wait to see the report!