"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Wednesday 16 December 2009

Runner's High

I don’t experience runner’s high very often. I have regular good runs, but a real runner’s high happens seldom. So I was very happy yesterday when I had a perfect run. I ran 7km and experienced a true runner’s high. I suppose everyone experience this differently, but for me it is a run where I feel great from the first stride to the last. I feel as if I can carry on forever, never tiring, gliding up the hills without any effort at all. Running has been rather difficult the past three weeks so this was a great relief. At last the hard work of regular training is paying off.

I go through these difficult periods from time to time when running always seems to require extra effort and my legs and body feels tired and the strain of training. I’ve learnt to tough it out and stick to my routine, running when I have to run and resting when I have to rest. Eventually the good run will come and at some stage a true runner’s high.

This morning I ran 14.1km. No, there was no runner’s high or even a comfortable run. It was a tough run, but I felt good and positive. That great run from yesterday did the trick and I feel ready to tough out the difficult runs ahead.

No comments: