"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Tuesday 25 August 2015

Early Morning Rides


I am finally back training after the worst flu I've had in many years. I'll be concentrating on the cycling for a few weeks as I have a few races coming up. This is also good for getting back into things with my chest still wanting to go into a coughing frenzy at times.

The mornings are absolutely wonderful at the moment with spring on its way. However, it is still dark during my training and though this is not a problem when running I find it a bit intimidating while out cycling.


I am lit up and I have more than enough lights on the bike to see what's happening in the road in front of me, but there are a few places where there is no street lights or very little light and I find I do slow down here. South Africa is certainly not known for the best road surfaces in the world as well and there are times when I am really glad I'm riding a mountain bike.

Stray animals seem to like mountain bikes as well. I've had a few dog and cat encounters and this was actually quite scary. Cats love to sprint over the road as I approach and when it's dark I sometimes see them very late. At least they don't chase me like the dogs do!


Having said all of that I am still very happy to be back training and getting out there early in the morning. Nothing beats starting a day's work after a nice training session.

In a few weeks time the morning sessions will consist of cycling and running. Who knows, before the year ends I might throw in some swimming as well...

Train well my friends!

9 comments:

Karien P. said...

I also had one of the worst bouts of flu of my life this winter - yikes! Glad you're feeling better!

KovasP said...

Cycling in the dark is so scary, even with lights - obstacles come up so fast!

coach dion said...

Maybe I need more time on the bike...

coach dion said...

Maybe I need more time on the bike...

Amy said...

Being that sick really sucks - I'm glad you're doing better again. Although, those dark rides on the bike do sound a bit creepy!

Char said...

Good to hear that you're finally on the mend. This year's been bad for prolonged sickness.

Giorgio said...

I'm glad to hear about your cycling and running sessions in the early morning! Of course, you will go swimming soon! Go, Johann!

Robin said...

Glad to see you back at it! Not sure I've ever ridden a bike i the dark! Stay safe.

Black Knight said...

Biking in the dark is scary but, on the other hand, is amazing.