"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Tuesday 13 May 2014

Why Do I Run?


Do you still get this question? Why do you run? I still get it from time to time and I always think of running blogs when I get it. There are numerous posts around answering that question. Some people often post lists with reasons why they run.

There are so many reasons to run, but do you have one specific reason? One short answer? My short answer is: Because it makes me feel so good..

I honestly love running. I set my alarm for 03:30 on the coldest sub zero degrees morning and still wake up at 03:25 because I am looking forward to my run so much. That is just who I am and how I love my running.


I am still busy with my running streak (43 days) and I've had some interesting comments about it. Although everyone is very supportive I do get a lot of people that raise their concerns about it and give very valid reasons why they don't think it is a good idea to do a running streak.

A very common remark is people saying "there must have been days or even many days you didn't feel like it but well done, you pushed through". NO! I have never felt like I didn't want to run. I never feel that way. In the almost 33 years I've been running I have never felt that way.

Do I love running that much? I think so, but I think I actually love how good it makes me feel. A day without running is just not the same. Sinuses and airways aren't as clear and so is my mind. Running keeps everything clear.


A second remark that I've been getting is that I am obsessed to run every day. NO! I am now free to run every day! I used to have an obsession. I was obsessed that I needed to rest at least one day a week. Even if it meant one day of not feeling great, I always faithfully took my rest day. Now I can relax about it and just run. 

I have not felt the need for a rest day at all. In fact, I just feel so much better on my short run (2.5km) active rest days. Really much better than no running at all.

Yes, I love running. I love it because it makes me feel so good.

But...

This is still the best answer...

Go run today!

10 comments:

Robin said...

Awesome post Johann....running does offer so much. I don't find every run is a good one but once it's done, the feeling that's left is. It's been a huge outlet for me, especially this past year. So thankfull that I'm able to run.

KovasP said...

I love to run but have to admit some days I just don't feel like it.

One Crazy Penguin said...

There is nothing about this post that I do not love! I have to say though that I am jealous. There are definitely days that I do not feel like running. I'm working on it though!

Giorgio said...

Great post, Johann!
Why do I run? Simply, running makes me feel good: enjoying environment, discovering places, contribution to social causes, socializing, healthy lifestyle, endorphin production ... should I continue?

Karien P. said...

I also love hearing everyone's different reasons to run. For me, it's just part of who I am: I need to do it, or else I feel that there's something missing. Love it.

coach dion said...

My streak is at 886, and while I have an injury... It not an over use injury!!! and yes rest is what is needed to beat this thing and isn't going to happen, I have races to run, but after this weekends race I can have a week off! No I won't stop running I'll just run slow, flat, and short with no pain, that is what is needed.

Do you know in all 886 runs not once has it been hard to get up in the morning or to head out in the evening for my run!

Why do I run? Walking is to slow!

Jerry Smallwood said...

My hat off to all run streakers

ajh said...

I love this post. I wish I liked running as much as you as I don't always. WHen I can't run because of an injury I really miss it. But I don't have the passion you do. Now biking........

Amy said...

That is what I enjoy most about running, too, how it makes me feel. But for me getting started is the hardest part, I sometimes have so much resistance! I admire your unconditional love of it! As far as people being worried about you being obsessed, I think everyone is different and should do what makes them feel best - and that's obviously what you're doing, so more power to you!

Paul said...

Keep on truckin'

I think with all the miles under your belt you know what you are doing pretty well.