"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Monday 2 July 2012

Num-Num 36.5km Trail Challenge Preview

"The aloes are quivering with anticipation, the jackals are howling and the wildebeest practicing their back kicks."
"The Num-Num is one of the most beautiful trails I have seen! Wow! But, I must say, very technical."
"Excitement is reaching a bit of a fever pitch out here in the bush."


The abo are quotes from the e-mails we received from the organisers of the Num-Num Trail Challenge.



Saturday at 6:50AM I start this beautiful trail. I can't wait although I know it will be a real challenge. Normal runners like me are expected to spend about 8 hours out on the trail.


Below a short description of each stage with the profile included. The stages are described as days as this is a 5 day hiking trail we'll be runningYou'll need to click the images to read the description of each stage.







This is described as one of the toughest and most technical trails in the country, but also as one of the most beautiful. A few photos:










Certainly a great race to look forward to! I'm working Monday to Wednesday and then I'm off for a nice long weekend and the race.

Have a great week everyone!

14 comments:

Abby @ Have Dental Floss, Will Travel said...

Looks like a gorgeous course!

Giorgio said...

It was really a beautiful trail, Johann! It seems that the 3rd day was the most challenging.
Nice report: it shows that running sometimes gives the opportunity to enjoy the landscape ... the photo of the bridge is fantastic!

misszippy said...

That looks amazing and super difficult at the same time! Very excited for you. Eight hours--wow! Good luck.

misszippy said...

That looks amazing and super difficult at the same time! Very excited for you. Eight hours--wow! Good luck.

Char said...

You're going to be in your element on those trails. I hope the weather is wonderful for you. We wouldn't like rain to ruin all the lovely photos that you're going to take for us.

Kate Geisen said...

Oh, my gosh...it's just gorgeous!! So will you be out 8 hours each day? wow, that's a lot of running! What an amazing challenge...SO excited for you!!

ajh said...

Wow! Do you go through that cave/tunnel looking thing? And the bridge might do me in. I can't wait to hear about this one. Good luck and have fun as I know you will.

Indi said...

That is one amazing trail race!! Plus I am totally loving the names..who doesn't want to run along MilkPlum Path at the Num-Num race..love it!!!

Liz said...

8 hours on the trail? Wow! Hope you have a great time!

Jill said...

The bridge would terrify me. There are no bridges on Pikes Peak, thankfully!! :)

You're going to have a fantastic race. Remember to hydrate so I don't worry about you! Can't wait to read all about it. And yeah, it's okay to curse Ewa and I the whole time...we have some of our own cursing to do which involves you, too. :)

Have fun!!!

Theia said...

That looks gorgeous. Enjoy!

On the Right Track said...

Whoa...some of those pics make me lose my breath...so gorgeous but I am definately a scardy cat with heights...

I love how challenging it looks though, and I am sure it will be beautifully rewarding! good Luck and Enjoy it !!

Molly said...

Good Luck Johann!!! Have a great run!

Thomas Tan said...

Num Num :) Look forward to reading your recap.