"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Monday 23 August 2010

Mountain Race Dress Rehearsal

I did my last long trail run as part of my training for the upcoming 50k race on Sunday. I’m happy to say that all went well and I didn’t fall again.:)) My injuries are more or less healed with only my chest still a little uncomfortable while running. I still can’t lift heavy objects but I’m not complaining too much about that. Thanks everyone for all the well wishes and encouragement, I really appreciate it.

I used this 28.5km (17.6mile) run as a dress rehearsal for the race in the mountain. I do this from time to time and what this really means is…

…I wore the clothes I’ll be wearing in the race…

…carried my water…

…fuel, food, camera…

…extra clothing and treats as I plan to do in the race. Yes, that’s chocolate milk, I’ll take two of those up the mountain.

The carry bag will be in the middle and folds underneath the hydration pack. It also contains a first-aid kit.

I also ate and drank exactly as I plan to during the race. I had a great run and I’m feeling very confident about the race. Nothing didn’t work and I’m close to perfecting the way I carry everything I like to have on long runs and ultras.

I now start a cutback/taper phase. This week I run on the road only to give my legs a break from the tough trails. Sunday’s long run will be in a race. This will be a slow, take-it-easy half marathon to give me a week total of 72.6km (45 miles).

Have a fantastic week of running everyone!

24 comments:

Andrew Opala said...

Great post Johann. It really gets to the main points of what you need to take on the longer running, and how you will carry it.

Glad to hear that you are feeling better, and that the race is still on! Don't forget we're all counting on you to outrun that Cheetah!

Quinton J said...

I shall resolve to learn from your pre-race rehearsal. Snazzy get-up…and I’m glad to hear you’ve made a speedy recovery. Good Luck on Sunday…I look forward to the race report.

Emz said...

YAY I love dress rehersals!!

Rock it!

abbi said...

Glad to hear the run went well without injuries! I love seeing what works for people during an actual race...great post!

Teamarcia said...

You are so ready to go--exciting!

Mark said...

Smart training!!! So glad to hear you are doing well!

Adrienne said...

So inspiring to read! Good luck on the race!

ajh said...

Do you not mind carrying the backpack? It doesn't bounce on your back? You certainly sound prepared. I am pretty much packed for my relay next weekend.

Pahla said...

Excellent thinking to do a dress rehearsal! I try to do that for long runs/big races and it really helps me mentally to feel prepared.

Julie said...

Hi Johann,
Why am I not suprised that you have every little detail figured out? You are so smart to do this...it will help to have gone through it once:)

Woo hoo for not falling again and feeling okay when running:) Don't try to be Super Hero on Sunday and go gang busters. Run smart and be safe:) Good luck!

Anne said...

Great trial run!! :)

You're going to run an awesome race...I can just tell!

Natalia said...

Oh, you will have a super race! A dress rehearsal sounds like just the thing. I look forward to the race report. Vasbyt en hardloop vinnig!!!

John Kynaston said...

'Fail to prepare .... prepare to fail' can't be directed at you!

Have a geat race and I look forward to reading all about it.

BTW ... I've not been to the States but I would love to run an ultra race there on day!

Char said...

You're a very organized runner - but I guess that in such a long race it pays to be organized.

The Green Girl said...

Good luck, Johann! Looks like you are very well prepared!

Jill said...

I love how much I learn about ultra running from reading your blog. I love that little multi blue waist pack, that's awesome for carrying stuff. Glad you didn't have any falls (yay!!) and good luck this weekend!!!! Will be thinking and cheering for you!

HappyTrails said...

Never thought of a dress rehearsal but that's a dang good idea. Good luck with your prep and good thoughts going into your 50k!

Q said...

I echo the other comments, great idea!

Jo Lynn said...

Isn't the blogging world amazing? It connects people like you and me from different parts of the world that do the same thing.
Looks like you are taking this mountain race seriously. Good job! ;)

Giorgio said...

Very interesting post Johann! The images show that you are very well prepared. Thanks for sharing and good luck this weekend!

Kelsey: the Blonde Bullet said...

Did anyone ever tell you that you could be a model? Hah, but seriously, great photo recap of all the necessities. Really fun to read and see. I find it really inspiring to meet people via blogging that are so dedicated. Keep it up!

Chris K said...

Geez, you've got more stuff to carry than a pack mule. I hope they have mules in S.A. so you know what I'm talking about. 50K is awesome. Go get 'em Johann.

Black Knight said...

You are in perfect spirit and shape to run a great race. Good luck. Anyway I gave you a mention on my blog.

Christina said...

I'm with AJH, doesn't the backpack bouncing bother you?