"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Monday 5 July 2010

Some July and rest-of- the-year plans

I’m happy to say that I am now fully recovered from the cold and slight cough I had last week. This worked out well for a change as it happened in a week with no races for me. I got in some good rest and can feel my legs are strong again after taking some strain towards the end of the trail series I ran in June. I was able to run 6.2km on Saturday and 15.1km this morning without any effort at all.

Now July is here and the 2nd half of the year is waiting. My main goal for the rest of the year is the 50km Mon-Aux-Sources Challenge on 11 September. This is a very tough trail run at the Royal Natal Park in Kwazulu Natal and runs to the top of the Drakensberg Amphitheatre seen below.


We basically run from where I took the photo to the top of the mountain and back. It’s a 50km race and at the top you have to climb up some chain ladders to get on top of the amphitheatre. The views are breathtaking and this is one of the most beautiful places in South Africa.


I was lucky to get in as only 250 runners are allowed each year. The start/finish is in the Royal Natal Park at 1300m (4300ft) and peaks at 3100m (10200ft) giving an overall ascent/descent of 1800m (5900ft).


So I have some serious training and preparation to do in the next few weeks. I’m running a 21km trail race this weekend (Vaal Trail Race) and a tough 25km race with some road and trail the following weekend. I will then up the distance with some long trail runs towards the end of July and during August.

Happy July running everyone!

16 comments:

Pahla said...

Wow, that's going to be such an incredible race! I can't even imagine that kind of elevation change during a race. Happy training!

ajh said...

I could go up those ladders - maybe - but I assume you have to come back down and I am not so sure about that. You are tough! Wow!

Jennifer said...

Happy to hear you are feeling well again. Wow, that 50K sounds amazing and looks tough. Good luck with your training and keep us posted on how everything is going. Cheers!

Alyssa said...

So glad you're feeling better. This race looks breathtaking, and even cooler you're one of the select few who get to run it! Can't wait to follow your training up until this challenge.... :)

wendy said...

Amazing! Hope your race went well this weekend : )

Giorgio said...

It's great to hear you are feeling well soon! Beautiful landscape of the Drakensberg Amphitheatre johann!
I've understood that you are running those two races this month as training for the 50km Mon-Aux-Sources Challenge on 11 September.
You have planned to run a hard 50 km race considering the overall ascent/descent which you mentioned.
I think you don't need a short distance race during next month, such as a 10 km.
Have a nice training!

Anne said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better. That race sounds amazing...what a beautiful, yet difficult environment...wow! Considering your excellent physical condition...you'll do great I'm sure :)

Tanvir Kazmi said...

Wow, looks totally captivating. If I was there, I would probably just stand out there and soak in the view rather than run :)

John Kynaston said...

Great photos.

All the best with your trail races over the next two weekends.

Look forward to reading all about them.

Julie said...

Hi Johann,
Woo hoo for feeling better and getting a few more runs in! You are always finding these amazing trail races with the most beautiful scenery:) Looking at those ladders scares the crap out of me! I would have to not look down and pray to God that I wouldn't fall:) Good luck on your traing for the 50K race!

Molly said...

that's going to be a challenging race, in a good way!! Glad you're feeling better!

Rad Runner said...

Good job for resting and getting that immune system up and running! Im glad you got the chance to be apart of such an awesome event!

Chris K said...

Are you kidding me? That 50K race looks amazing. A little death defying too. Please don't slip on those ropes.

The Green Girl said...

I'm thrilled to hear you are feeling better.

Congratulations on getting into the 50km Mon-Aux-Sources Challenge. That race sounds amazing!

Christina said...

Wow. A chain ladder. That looks like it will be a great race.

Jill said...

Oh my gosh, that looks incredible! I'd LOVE to do that, so very cool and so different from anything like that here in Colorado with the ladders! Congrats on making it in, can't wait to hear how you do. Good luck with the training!