"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Monday 8 January 2018

Kick Start 2018



If the first week of 2018 is anything to go by this year will be a speedy one for sure! I'm still on leave, starting work on Wednesday, which is probably one of the reasons last week flew by at the speed of light.

At least I started the year with some good training. 203km for the first week of January is good for me.


Now to keep it up for the next 51 weeks!

So what are the plans for 2018? I'm not a big New Year's resolutions person, but I love setting goals. Having long term goals always keeps me going, while setting smaller short term goals to reach the long term ones.

I've always been a slow, back of the pack runner that prefers long ultra runs. I'm now a slow back of the pack cyclist that prefers long slow rides. I think you are born a slow or fast athlete, no matter what the sport is.

My search for cycling races that fits my profile and preference brought me to the world of randonneuring, the world of Audax.


This is long, slow distance cycling and really excites me. This is cycling of routes of 200km and higher. It is not racing, but simply the aim of completing the journey. The idea is more or less to complete a 200, 300, 400 and 600km event and then look at the 1000km or further events. To get Super Randonneur status. 

The cutoff times also sits well with me, giving you time to finish at an average pace of 15km/h.


I really like this and it is definitely something that will keep me cycling.  There is also the prospect of taking part in some 1200 to 1500km events in other countries.

Anyway, without getting ahead of myself, my goal for 2018 is to do a 200km event in the first half of the year and a 300km event in the second half of the year. Getting there will include some long rides and some long races. Should be fun! Should keep me busy for the year.

A wonderful 2018 to all of you! Stay safe!


3 comments:

Kate Geisen said...

Randonneuring event sound really cool, just the kind of vibe I like -- relaxed and supportive. I think there's something really special about super long rides, so I'm looking forward to your journey(s) here.

coach dion said...

I really hope I can always have running to do, just what would my wife say if I wanted to cycled for 80hours...

good luck and best to start spending your weekends on the bike!

Giorgio said...

It's a good training for the first week of January!

With regard to the 200 km cycling event, which you'll do in the first half of the year, the speed doesn't matter ... I also like cycling events whose aim consists of completing the overall path. Setting goals is really important, Johann!