"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Monday 3 June 2013

A legend and a hero

Blogathon Post 3/30

First the legend:

Alan Robb ran his 40th consecutive Comrades Marathon yesterday. That is just incredible! He won the race 4 times in the 1970's and holds the record for the most number of gold medals - 12. The top 10 gets a gold medal.


Then the hero:

Claude Mushiywa won the race yesterday and is of course a new South African hero now. It was the first time in 21 years that a South African won the up run. We have quite a few down run winners but the up run has been won by foreigners since 1993.


Guess what! Claude works in the same building as I do! Can you believe that! I only found that out today. What makes him special is that he is not a professional runner but works full time and is the father of two kids...respect!

He wakes up at 3AM Monday to Thursday and runs 32km(20 miles) before work. On weekends he runs 50 - 70km (31 - 44miles). A hero indeed!


Have a fantastic week everyone! 

10 comments:

Karien P. said...

I agree - they're both such an inspiration!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Yes, inspirational! I'm sure they will inspire you as you train for your trail race in August.

Robin said...

Very inspirational!

Char said...

Both men are incredible.

I bet the finish was extra-exciting with a home-grown winner. And to think he's almost your neighbour.

ajh said...

THose are incredible stores. Very impressed with the full time worker who won!

Michael said...

Wow two amazing runners and great stories! I can't imagine doing a race 40 consecutive years. I better get to picking one and get my streak going :)

Raina said...

What an inspiring individual! Comrades just grows more and more in my heart with each post or article I read. What an enormous challenge.
Can't wait for you to do it next year :)

Christina said...

Seriously?? First, it's amazing that he works in your building. Second, it sounds like he's human, a normal person. Except normal people don't run 20 miles everyday before work.

coach dion said...

On Sunday I will line up for my 24th Table Mountain 16km, but 16 is easy, 90km is not, and 24 isn't near 40...

I work a full day, but it's only once or twice a week that I get up at 5 for a run and then it's only 5-9km...

OK I'm not a legend!

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Incredible!!! Like just an every day average Joe hero ... so cool!