"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Tuesday 22 January 2013

Two This Tuesday


1 - Off the trails and onto the road!

So it’s off the trails and onto the road for me for the next few months. Maybe I can get a bit of speed back…no, that’s not going to happen…haha!

With the way our lives have been busy and the time is already flying through 2013 Anette and I decided that my first main goal for 2013 will be the Comrades Marathon on 2 June. This means I better get my road feet on.

This is my Comrades Commitment Card - now signed and on the fridge door.

I still need to qualify for the Comrades although I have already entered. I plan to do this on 21 March at the Goldi  Marathon in Standerton. It will be my first road marathon in two years. Luckily qualifying is not that difficult but I need to get moving on the road. I need a sub 5 hour marathon which is not bad but I want to do a comfortable sub 4:30 if possible. That will set me up for a good buildup towards Comrades.

2 - Tragedy at Triathlon.


Two athletes died during the SA Half Iron Man this past weekend. That is so sad. Both athletes’ hearts stopped during the swim. I am very sad and I wonder how this happens.

Apparently 75% of triathlon deaths occur during the swim. One reason is that it takes longer to notice someone is in trouble and then longer to get to the person to start treatment.

With the whole Lance Armstrong debacle questions have also been asked around the subject of steroids and other enhancers that might cause heart failure. Still, a very sad week for triathletes here in South Africa.

So I am now officially in Comrades training. I'll keep you up to date.

Happy training!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What's up, after reading this amazing article i am also happy to share my experience here with mates.
Take a look at my web page : http://safedietplans.com